The Stonemasonry Heritage Course is an intensive, workshop-based programme in banker* and heritage stonemasonry for those with little or no prior experience. Offering a rich and thorough understanding of the craft through practical training as well as history and theory, it is an ideal route into the stonemasonry and heritage sector.
The course may be undertaken over one year full time or two years part time and includes the nationally recognised stonemasonry diploma at Levels 2 & 3.
Course content includes:
- Bankers stonemasonry techniques: cutting and working stone by hand
- Use of hand and powered tools
- Producing drawings and templates by hand
- Marking out and producing complex stone components
- Carving & Lettercutting
- Repair and maintenance of historic stonemasonry
- Health and safety
- Triple certification: Level 2 and 3 NOCN Diploma certificates in Stonemasonry will be achieved as part of the curriculum, leading to a final City & Guilds assured certificate.
The course covers all stonemasonry units up to and including Level 3, from basic to advanced banker stonemasonry techniques, along with technical drawing and setting out of masonry structures. Projects include: controlled carving such as egg and dart with its setting out, and free carving such as medieval figurative and ornamental work; lettercutting; the repair, maintenance and conservation of stonework in a safe sustainable manor. Practical and theoretical projects explore the wider context of UK and European masonry and conservation, building an extensive understanding of the historic and modern stone industry.
*Banker stonemasonry is masonry worked at a bench or stonemason’s “banker”. It involves the carving and production of a wide range of historic and contemporary architectural components and remains fundamental to the stonemasonry and heritage sector today.
The College reserves the right to change aspects of the course.
- City & Guilds Assured Stonemasonry Heritage (Level 3)
- Ability to study on full-time basis
- Completion of Maths and English initial assessment
- Commitment to and strong interest in stonemasonry
- 19 years of age, or above
- 1 year, 5 days per week (37 weeks per year). Or part time equivalent over 2 years.
- Full Time: £12,500 for Sept 2023
- Part Time: £7,500 per year for two years
- Bursaries may be available
- Nigel Gilkison
- Site Supervision programme (CIOB)
- Foundation Degree Historic Building Conservation
- Heritage NVQ Level 3
- Construction Level 4
- To find out more about our stonemasonry courses please ring the College on 020 8522 1705 or why not attend an open day!